How to sprout Quinoa

No, I have not started a grow-op, I am sprouting quinoa, ok? Actually I seem to have a lot of science projects on the go right now, first the sourdough starter, now the quinoa. Sure makes for interesting conversation when people visit my dorm and wonder what all the containers with mysterious contents/liquids are for.
Quinoa is super good for you in the first place. Not only is it a complete protein, its seeds are gluten free as well. But when you sprout it, the nutritional value becomes even greater. During the process, enzymes in the quinoa help to multiply its vitamin contents. The quinoa also softens, allowing it to be eaten raw. All I did was toss my sprouted quinoa with sliced portabello mushrooms, aged balsamic and a splash of soy sauce to make a fresh, chilled salad. Yum!

how to sprout quinoa
how to sprout quinoa
This was what it looked like after only 12 hours.
how to sprout quinoa
how to sprout quinoa
After 24 hours there was a decent amount of sprouts!

As for the sprouting process itself, it could not be simpler. First, soak the quinoa in enough water to cover whatever amount you are using. I did this before I went to bed, then I drained it the next morning. Rinse the quinoa, drain again and cover. Let it be for another 8-12 hours. You will probably see sprouts already. Repeat the rinsing, draining, covering and wait another 8-12 hours. By this point, the sprouts should be plentiful and the quinoa is ready to use. If not, continue with the previous step until they appear. But it really shouldn’t take that long.
And you’ve got to admit, even if you don’t enjoy quinoa, it’s pretty cool just as an experiment! I know, I’m a dork. But it’s so cool!!! Plus it is healthy for you, plus it tastes good. Come on people, just try it!

11 thoughts on “How to sprout Quinoa

• October 25, 2011 at 10:12 pm

I still haven’t tried sprouting any grains. I have made countless notes to try it though. Was the taste different after sprouting them?

• October 25, 2011 at 10:17 pm

Not really, it’s just crunchier. And I suppose the flavor is a bit stronger because you aren’t cooking it. You should definitely try! It is easy and fool proof, you just need a little patience (not even that much, it only takes a day or 2).

• October 27, 2011 at 2:29 am

That tells you how much I’ve researched. I thought you were supposed to sprout it and THEN cook it. I didn’t realize it was meant to be eaten raw. (duh) very cool!

• October 28, 2011 at 6:26 pm

I have this great old book “Ten Talents” (i think the full title is like ten talents a women or cook should know? i forgot, its somewhere on my blog though) and there are tons of sprouting ideas. You have inspired me to try this, this weekend! There is this crazy rumor that DC is going to get snow tomorrow, so what a great opportunity to start sprouting something! and/or sourdough!!! i love making bread! thank you!!!

audra

• October 13, 2012 at 5:05 pm

hey! I’m from Poland and I am going to examine quinoa and buckwheat groats:) I am looking for any informations about sprouting conditions… you wrote “Rinse the quinoa, drain again and cover”. Cover with water, yes?:) I will appreciate your answer :))

• July 6, 2013 at 1:39 pm

FYI, Bolivian farmers are starving because vegans/vegetarians/the gastronomically curious are increasing the price of their staple grain so much so that they can’t afford to eat it now. Not to point fingers but that is the product of a capitalistic market economy that services A CONSUMER DEMAND… all those companies pushing out these great new health products are doing it at the expense of the majority of the world who cannot afford to eat 99% of the food found at Whole Foods. Just think about what the coffee farmers had to go through before there was fair trade coffee because most people just didn’t know what was happening in the coffee trade.