A Soup and Sandwich Dinner

Where is the time going? I have been home for almost a week now and it doesn’t even feel like it has been 24 hours.
My “List of Lists” is all completed so that’s pretty satisfying. Christmas gifts are bought and wrapped, cards are signed and the Christmas dinner menu plan is finalized with a grocery list already in the works.
“Insert sigh of relief here”
What am I talking about? I should just be happy to be back in Calgary spending the holidays with my family. Clearly someone needs to learn how to relax. Much easier said than done though. I really envy people that know how to sit around and do nothing. If I’m not busy 99% of the time I go completely stir crazy! As for that remaining 1%, it’s just enough for sleep, food and maybe a bathroom break every once in a while.
So here’s to relaxation! Go make yourself a sandwich and a bowl of this delicious kuri squash soup and you are set. Forget about the chores that need to be done and the presents that need to be wrapped (or in some cases bought and then wrapped). Ok you are really in a rush? Well at least take some time out for the soup!

Kuri Sqash Soup

Ingredients:

– one small-medium sized red kuri squash (I’m sorry, I should have weighed it…it wasn’t tiny…but it wasn’t all that large either)
– 1 tbsp. olive oil
– 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
– pinch of nutmeg
– salt and pepper to taste
– 2.5 cups vegetable stock
– 1/2 tbsp. honey

Preheat your oven to 400 F. Cut the squash into quarters and spoon out the seeds (you can save these to toast if you like). Rub the inside of the squash with olive oil. Sprinkle with cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Roast for 45 minutes or until soft.

Kuri squash soup
Then remove the peel and mash the flesh with a fork (I find this makes it easier to puree once you add the stock). I would recommend that you allow the squash to cool slightly before you try to handle it. However I didn’t have the patience for this and let me tell you, that squash was pretty hot (temperature wise people).
Kuri squash soup
Then I added the vegetable stock and blended away until it was nice and smooth. Immersion blenders are so handy. They are portable, easy to clean and do everything a normal blender can do with half the mess. I would highly recommend getting one, put it on your Christmas list!
Kuri squash soup
Heat it up, add the honey, double check the seasoning and you are ready to enjoy.
Kuri squash soup
Kuri squash soup
Now let’s not forget the sandwich. After all a soup and sandwich dinner wouldn’t be complete without it!
I marinated some strips of tofu in soy sauce, honey, white wine vinegar, black pepper and Sriracha sauce for about 30 minutes. Then I cooked it up and put it on a sandwich with spinach.
Time to bring out the panini maker. My sandwich is the odd one out with the darker bread. I always need to be different.
Now you are ready to enjoy!
Kuri squash soup
As a completely unrelated side note, I’ve got my mom hooked on the concept of no-knead bread. Yes, the starter survived. It’s a Christmas miracle! So now I am baking a loaf everyday to prepare for Christmas. Apparently I am using it for raclette, Christmas dinner and stuffing. My starter is getting one heck of a workout! We even found a cute little pottery pot to cook it in.

3 thoughts on “A Soup and Sandwich Dinner

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *