Chocolate Overnight Oats

Chocolate Overnight Oats
Trying to grow this blog has been a huge learning curve. What I did not realize when I started the Starving Student over two years ago is that food blogging is about so much more than the actual food. Sure you have to be able to cook and develop recipes. In my opinion, that’s the easy part. Then you have to learn to take good pictures. Aperture, exposure, white balance. All of these components have to be taken into consideration. Chances are, you still won’t have the perfect photo. So then you have to spend just as much time, if not more, editing them to the point where you are actually willing to display them. Everyone wants Foodgawker worthy photography!
Take for example these chocolate overnight oats. They took me 10 minutes to prepare, tops. Then they sat in the fridge overnight. Who would have thought that overnight oats sit overnight? Crazy stuff. Pictures the next morning took, say, 20 minutes. I then edited them and drafted the post. But when I went back to look at the photos, I realized they were all severely under-exposed. So I had to go back and edit again. I had to change the saturation about 100 times because the neon colour of the raspberries looked like they were from outer space. Keep in mind this was all for one simple portion of overnight oats!
I tell you, the big guns, all of the top food photography blogs, they made it look so ridiculously easy. Sure they have a heck of a lot more practice and experience than I do, but I still don’t think that the average person realizes how much work goes on behind the scenes. It really is like a full-time job.
It’s addictive too. The more progress you start to see, the more visitors and pageviews you get, the harder you strive to make yourself known. This is also easier said than done in a time where everyone is a food aficionado. I come across tons of new blogs every day, all of which are more professional looking than the last. You always think of the big names like Smitten Kitchen, Joy the Baker and David Lebovitz, but there are so many lesser known bloggers doing their thing and making a living off of it. It’s absurd really.
Where does that leave me, little old Mallory blogging her heart out for Because I Like Chocolate? Good question. At this point, I think only time will tell. As long as I am enjoying it, I will keep chugging away.
Chocolate Overnight Oats
Chocolate Overnight Oats

Chocolate Overnight Oats
Serves 1

Ingredients

1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup milk (1%, 2%, skim, doesn’t matter)
1 tbsp. cocoa powder
2 tbsp. Sultana raisins
2 tbsp. maple syrup
1 tbsp. cocoa nibs

Instructions

Mix together all of the ingredients, cover and allow them to sit overnight in the fridge. Enjoy for breakfast topped with fresh fruit and a sprinkle of cocoa nibs or slivered almonds.

Variations

To make your chocolate overnight oats vegan, substitute the milk for almond milk, soy milk or any other non-dairy milk of your choice.

To make these chocolate overnight oats gluten free, just ensure that you buy gluten free oats!

Chocolate Overnight Oats

18 thoughts on “Chocolate Overnight Oats

• October 24, 2013 at 3:49 pm

Hello,

We love your recipes, they are so yummy. Would be delighted if you could share your recipes with us at http://ipinrecipes.com/ a community for food bloggers and food lovers. With iPinRecipes.com your recipes will be published immediately without any editorial review. No need to edit, crop your recipe images, with iPinRecipes.com you can directly pin your recipes from your blog. So why to wait, join our community and start pinning recipes.

Happy Pinning!!!

Regards
    iPinRecipes Team

• October 25, 2013 at 5:50 am

Yup, food blogging takes way more time than you think it will when you first get into it! I really like your picture, you did a good job with them and the raspberries don’t have a weird color :)

• October 25, 2013 at 11:50 am

I used to just sort of snap and go. But now, it’s an annoying hobby where I spend 20 minutes taking photos of food before eating. I get how you feel. Either way, these oats look great! Filling and healthy! :)

• October 25, 2013 at 6:02 pm

I have never heard of overnight oats before and I am intrigued! These look delicious and crazy easy. Thanks!

• October 25, 2013 at 6:09 pm

Sometimes it is referred to as “muesli” but they are basically one and the same. Thanks!

• October 25, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Gah, tell me about it! I already have a full time job, a husband, a dog, an apartment to clean, food to cook…and then on top comes the baking, photographing, editing and blogging. That’s why when I started, I had all these grand plans to post three times a week but now, I’m lucky if I do it once a week. I wish I could do this full time and make money but c’est la vie. Maybe one day! Back to your oats – your photos look great! And I wish I were eating this right now. I didn’t have breakfast this morning and now I’m starving!

• December 26, 2013 at 6:50 am

I know what you mean! I still can’t work out how to take a good photo, but yours look amazing. Perfect raspberries!

• January 21, 2014 at 8:30 am

Your photos look amazing! I hate that I’m not good enough at photography yet to do my recipes justice – I need to take a class so that people can see how awesome the recipes turn out!

• January 21, 2014 at 9:07 pm

What are cocoa nibs?

• February 14, 2014 at 2:39 am

for an overnight sweets it look’s very delicious, sweet, fresh and savory, sincerely i deep in to every night..

• Pingback: 50 Kid-Approved Healthy Breakfasts, Snacks + Smoothies