Pomegranate Brownies

Oh technology. I was saving this post for later in the week but then my finger slipped and I pressed “publish” instead of “save draft”. But hey, what the heck? I think we can all go for some pomegranate brownies now, right?
Pomegranate has officially replaced pumpkin as my favourite ingredient right now so I decided to add them to the batter. I would like to take credit for the idea, but truthfully I saw pomegranate brownies over at Twigg Studios. The sourness of the pomegranate seeds actually does wonders to cut the richness of these brownies. And believe me, they are rich. For the most part I am totally down for making healthy desserts. But when it comes to brownies, you need two critical ingredients, butter and chocolate. I don’t care what people say about adding beans and avocados and applesauce (I have done all of these things myself and yes, they produce a yummy product but it’s not the same). If you want a rich, fudgy, decadent and totally over the top brownie, it’s not going to be good for you. Period.
People just need to wrap their heads around the fact that every once in awhile, that’s not going to kill you.
Just look at these. For me at least, it would be much worse to go without.
Pomegranate Brownies

1 cup white sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 pomegranate, seeded

Instructions

1. Heat your oven to 350F. Prepare an 8″ or 9″ square pan by lining it with parchment paper.
2. Melt together the butter and chocolate, either over a double boiler or just in the microwave. Stir to incorporate and set it aside to cool slightly.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt.
4. Add the cooled melted chocolate/butter to the egg mixture, whisking to combine.
5. Stir in the flour, mixing until it is just combined. Then stir in most of the pomegranate seeds, reserving about 1/3 cup.
6. Pour the brownie batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the remaining 1/3 cup of pomegranate seeds over the top. Using your hand, press them lightly into the batter but not so much that they no longer show on the surface.
7. Bake at 350F for about 30-40 minutes. The outer edges should be matte and set while the middle remains slightly glossy.
8. Cool to room temperature, refrigerate and slice. And then eat of course!

Pomegranate Brownies
Pomegranate Brownies

43 thoughts on “Pomegranate Brownies

• October 29, 2013 at 1:54 pm

This are so so pretty with the pomegranate! I’ve never baked with it before – sounds fabulous with the chocolate, bookmarking ๐Ÿ™‚

• October 30, 2013 at 5:21 am

I know, aren’t pomegranates delicious? A bit of work but I think they are well worth it!

• October 30, 2013 at 5:52 am

Very cool idea! I’ve never thought of adding pomegranate seeds to brownies. I just bought a bottle of pomegranate molasses and wonder if this could work in the batter as well.

• October 30, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Absolutely, you could substitute the vanilla for pomegranate molasses (but I would add more of it, maybe a tablespoon or two).

• October 30, 2013 at 12:54 pm

This is such an incredible idea! When I saw the title of the recipe, I thought maybe you would use pomegranate juice or syrup – I LOVE that it’s fresh whole pomegranate seeds! Pomegranate and chocolate were totally made for each other, and they’re so so pretty.

• October 30, 2013 at 2:58 pm

I dont’ think pomegranate could REPLACE pumpkin for me…but those fruity bursts in a brownie sound awesome.

• October 30, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Thank you. Haha I will probably be back on the pumpkin bandwagon, it’s just a matter of time.

• October 30, 2013 at 4:05 pm

I just love these little jewels of sweetness! What a terrific and beautiful idea ๐Ÿ™‚

• October 30, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Nice idea! It must be very interesting texture wise. Little surprises, while eating brownie! Beautiful pictures too.

• October 30, 2013 at 5:09 pm

That it is! I was a little worried that the seeds would dry out but they didn’t. They retained their crunchy yet juicy texture.

• October 31, 2013 at 1:52 am

These are so unique! Will definitely be trying these:)

• October 31, 2013 at 8:16 pm

Never thought of the chocolate/pomegranate combo before – I’m intrigued! And I’m with you on the healthy brownie thing. Brownies are my absolute favorite dessert, and I was vegan for a while… let’s just say brownies without butter and eggs are a disaster! I am all for the rich decadent brownies, and these look fab.

• November 11, 2013 at 3:55 am

SO glad I found your blog and these brownies, I love the pomegranate chocolate combo, pinning these to try!

• November 22, 2013 at 3:35 am

Hi Mallory,

I am making these tonight, the batter is probably the best thing I have ever tasted ๐Ÿ™‚ Quick question: I used an 8×8 pan instead of 8×9 and they were still very raw in the middle after 30 minutes, I have now baked them for 50 mins and the middle is still undercooked, do you think using a slightly smaller pan made that much difference? My husband ate a piece from the edge that was cooked and he loved them!

• November 22, 2013 at 4:01 am

It was probably a combination of the smaller pan and variations in oven temperature. I am always hesitant about putting exact cook times because it really varies depending upon your environment and the oven. I wouldn’t think it would take that much longer but trust your gut, if they still looked raw you were right to keep cooking them. The other thing I will say though is that you can get away with the centre being under baked. They have so much butter and chocolate in them that once refrigerated, they will firm up quite substantially, almost like fudge. Hopefully that helps Andrea!

• November 22, 2013 at 3:32 pm

Thanks so much for the feedback. I really loved this recipe and will definitely try it again, just use a little bigger pan next time. I am really a total novice when it comes to baking ๐Ÿ˜› They have firmed up quite a bit this morning and in my opinion I probably overdid them because I find them a bit dry – but my husband insists the more “hockey puck” the consistency in a brownie the better, hahahaha! PS I really enjoy your blog, this is the first of your recipes I have attempted but I’m constantly drooling over your creations, thank you!

• November 23, 2013 at 3:22 am

Why thank you for reading and all of your positive feedback. If you ever have any questions or clarifications, feel free to ask!

• Pingback: 30 Easy Valentine's Day Desserts

• Pingback: Over 125 Amazing Valentine’s Day Desserts

• Pingback: 62 Valentine's Day Sweets to Share with Your Valentine - Five in Ohio

• Pingback: 40+ Valentine's Day Desserts!

• Pingback: 41 Sweet Dessert Recipe Ideas for a Special Valentine's Day - In The Kitchen With KP : In The Kitchen With KP

• Pingback: Valentine's Day Recipe Round-Up - Rhubarb and Honey

• March 6, 2014 at 8:07 pm

Hey Mallory, so I signed up for the Grad Student Bakesale and decided to try my hand at these! It isn’t until next week, but I was wondering if it would be hazardous to use semi-sweet chocolate instead of dark chocolate. Would that make them overpoweringly sweet or change anything major?

Calandra

• March 6, 2014 at 8:16 pm

No they are not that sweet to begin with so you should be perfectly fine! If you are concerned though you could also drop the sugar to 3/4 cup without any issues. Good luck, I will have to stop by the bakesale to try them out!

• March 7, 2014 at 11:37 am

Okay, thanks for your advice! Yes, please do ๐Ÿ˜‰ I also plan to make the vegan chocolate muffins soon. This blog is fantastic, hope to see you around sometime so I can chat with you about it not via the blog ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Pingback: pomegranates gone viral - bake.love.give.

• Pingback: 100 Favorite Desserts from Your Favorite Bloggers - Wine & Glue

• Pingback: leftvip » Chocolate Grilled Cheese Is A Thing…And Yes It’s As Amazing As It Sounds