Kohlrabi Pomegranate Slaw

Kohlrabi Pomegranate Slaw
It is no secret that I love my vegetables. Especially right now I am on a huge veggie kick and I want to share some of my everyday recipes with you. Today we have a raw kohlrabi pomegranate slaw. Realistically I am not baking and eating all of the time so I think it is important that I also display balance in what I share here. I don’t want people to get confused in thinking that chocolate is the only topic I cover, just because of the name of my blog. “Because I Like Chocolate” is a mentality. It does not mean that everything I make contains chocolate, or even sugar for that matter. It’s more like, “because I like chocolate, I will eat it without guilt, but I will also strive for balance in my diet and in life.” For you it may not be chocolate that gets you going. The point is, you should eat what you want, when you want, if that is what makes you feel good. We should not be constrained by societal expectations of what is “acceptable” to eat and what is not. Every now and then you can indulge and should not feel guilty for it. Anyways, that is my spiel.
More about those vegetables. Here is some interesting research for you, video games can get kids to eat more vegetables. In 2011 a study out of Baylor College of Medicine found that kids ate 2/3 of an additional serving of fruits/vegetables per day after playing an adventure video game that focused on skills related to behaviour change, like decision making and goal setting. I must say though, I don’t find this earth-shattering. Although they ate more, it did not even amount to 1 full serving. Nor was there a change in physical activity levels or body composition. As is often the case, a lot more research is necessary. We know that video games can lead to violence in children though so it would be pretty amazing if we could use them to induce positive behaviour change! Vegetables and science!
Kohlrabi Pomegranate Slaw
Kohlrabi Pomegranate Slaw

Kohlrabi Pomegranate Slaw

Ingredients

3 kohlrabi bulbs, peeled and julienned (cut into matchsticks)
1/2 pomegranate, seeded
1 tbsp. grainy mustard
1 tbsp. dijon mustard
1 tsp. honey
3-4 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
salt and pepper, to taste

Instructions

To make the dressing, whisk together the grainy mustard, dijon mustard and honey. Then whisk in the apple cider vinegar. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss the kohlrabi and pomegranate seeds with the dressing and serve.

Kohlrabi Pomegranate Slaw

15 thoughts on “Kohlrabi Pomegranate Slaw

• November 29, 2013 at 2:46 pm

I’ve never had kohlrabi raw like this! Sounds great in this salad, especially with the burst of juicy pomegranate arils!

• November 29, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Thanks Joanne. Come to think of it, I almost always have it raw. It takes very well to pickling too which is virtually what this dressing is considering it contains no oil.

• November 30, 2013 at 3:09 pm

It is definitely worth a try. If you like cabbagey vegetables you will love it. I liken it to broccoli stalk but less tough and milder in flavour!

• November 30, 2013 at 4:04 pm

We ate kohlrabi in India always cooked and I am loving the uncooked raw version, always healthy.
    Loving the salad. Nice to know your blog, great recipes.

• December 1, 2013 at 5:02 pm

Thanks Maureen. I just found the bowls hiding up in the top of my cupboard actually!

• December 1, 2013 at 8:15 pm

I grew up eating kohl rabi (my mom always grows some in her garden). Usually though it’s just sliced raw. I LOVE this take on it! Looks absolutely divine.

• December 2, 2013 at 2:42 am

I can’t wait to try this! My husband hates mayo, so I’m always in search of non-traditional slaw recipes. Looks delicious! I also just nominated you for a Liebster award.

• December 2, 2013 at 2:48 am

Thank you Angela! I already have something lined up for tomorrow but I will definitely continue the Liebster chain on Tuesday. Thanks for the nomination!

• December 3, 2013 at 1:02 am

As far as the “because I like chocolate” mentality, I couldn’t agree more. 🙂

I absolutely love raw kohlrabi (such an great crunch to it) and this slaw sounds easy and delish. Thanks for sharing!

• Pingback: Low-Carb Recipe Collection From Top Bloggers And A Discussion On Grains - Yours and Mine ARE Ours