When You Get Sick of Eating

Whether I like it or not, if there is one person in my life who will always set me straight, it’s my mother. Our relationship has never lacked honesty, that’s for sure. I don’t always like what she has to say but I know that I am going to hear it regardless.

Last night at dinner, as I sat there eating yet another salad, I got called a “fraud”. I told you, there’s no sugar-coating. Basically she said, “Mallory, sometimes I wonder if it is actually you writing your blog. You never eat the things that you go and rave about.” Which is only partially true. I always try at least 1 serving of something before I go and share the recipe. I just don’t eat the whole batch.

So as a food blogger, does this make me a fraud? There are a few things you have to understand about me before you draw any conclusions. First of all, I like baking and cooking for the sake of baking and cooking. I never make a batch of cookies with the intentions of eating most of them myself. Which I guess you could argue that no one ever goes in with that intention, but I can honestly say that I have never been left staring at an empty cookie sheet wandering, “where the heck did all of those go?”. I thrive off of sharing my food with others and watching their reactions when they eat it. At the same time, I have never struggled with self control. I don’t mean this in an “oh look at me I never give into temptation” way, I am just stating a fact. If I tell myself not to eat something, I won’t eat it.

It all relates back to the bigger picture and I am an extremely regimented person. It doesn’t matter whether it is about food or life in general, I like plans and I like routine. I am going to set my mind on something, put the blinders on and accomplish that goal, whatever it may be. You may say that sure does not leave a lot of room for fun. I guess it doesn’t in the traditional sense, but fun is subjective. I love checking things off my list. That is fun for me.

I am intrinsically motivated to create a recipe, make it, take pictures and post it. Eating the food is an extra caveat that is attached to making it. Again, if you don’t like to cook, this probably does not sound like a lot of fun. Most people would question the point of going to all of the effort to make something if you are not going to eat it, or only eat a bit of it. I will counter that with the fact that after awhile, you don’t want to eat anymore. I learned back in culinary school that the more time you spend preparing food, the less desire you have to consume it.

My health has always been one of my top priorities. The more sweets I make, the more I want to eat salads. That is exactly what I have been doing for the past few days. I need a break from “bloggable” food. I just want to eat clean food. Yes, you can make “healthy” dessert recipes but it is still different from eating raw fruits and vegetables in their purest form. What it all comes down to is that fact that you have to be happy with your diet. I haven’t been lately. Frankly I don’t think I have ever felt worse about it. To change that, I am on a hiatus from baking for the next little while.

The thing is, in our capitalist society, you give the consumer what they want. Food blogging is no different. People don’t care to read about my fruit/veggie “cleanse”, for lack of a better word. They want a recipe for Nutella bread, something that is about as over the top as you can get. Or at least that is my take on it. Maybe you do want to hear about this. Do you? I’m sure there are other bloggers and people involved in the culinary industry in general that can relate to the feeling of throwing your health out the window for what you do. It’s a careful balance and sometimes that requires taking a break.

Whether this all makes me a fraud, that’s for you to decide. But let me tell you, it’s not all cupcakes, cookies and rainbows.

14 thoughts on “When You Get Sick of Eating

• November 25, 2013 at 7:55 pm

I definitely don’t think it makes you a fraud!
    You still try the recipes, even if you don’t eat the whole batch! It’s not stuffing your face that turns you into a legit blogger! and I completely agree in sharing the food with everyone!

{ Teffys Perks Blog } X

• November 26, 2013 at 4:17 pm

I go back and forth on this issue (or at least, something in a similar vein), and I keep thinking of writing a bit of a post about it myself.

I don’t think posting dessert recipes is in and of itself particularly “fraudulent”, but I do think there’s some obligation on the blogger’s part to avoid being dishonest about how they’re consuming their product. I really dislike the trend I see on some blogs (not this one!) of a super unhealthy but “trendy” (i.e., will get mega-Pinterest love) recipe going up *every day*, with commentary like “you won’t be able to stop eating these!!!” or “so good I wanted to eat the whole pan!!!” The implication there is that the blogger is, in fact, eating a large amount of whatever they bake. When their “about” page reveals someone at a fairly “normal” weight, this kind of language starts to seem pretty shady: either they have miracle metabolisms, are throwing stuff away, or are pushing a LOT of unhealthy stuff onto their friends. I personally have a fair number of people in my circle of friends/acquaintances/co-workers who do struggle with weight and self-control and messages like that do nothing to help them. While you can argue that people are ultimately responsible for their own food choices, it’s also true that you are influenced by what you’re exposed to. If your skinny friend is constantly popping in with a plate of cookies that you *shouldn’t* be eating and urging you to have a half dozen of them (and implying that *they* just ate half a dozen), that is really not friendly behavior. If you like making those foods and that’s your niche, awesome, but don’t make out that these foods are okay for consuming in large quantities on a regular basis.

• November 26, 2013 at 5:56 pm

Wow, I could not agree more with all of the points you brought up. It is so true, there is no way that all of these fit, skinny bakers you see are actually eating all of the products they post on a daily basis. All the recipes tend to blend together after a while too. There are only so many ways you can manipulate a blondie, it’s still a blondie. Anyways, thanks for taking the time to formulate such an in-depth reply!

• November 26, 2013 at 11:37 pm

It’s something I’ve actually thought about a lot 🙂

Also, I wouldn’t pin yourself too much into the corner of thinking you have to produce certain kinds of recipes because that’s what people want. There are wildly successful food/cooking blogs that focus on more “everyday” kinds of foods like salads, healthy entrees, soups, etc. It doesn’t have to be all decadence all the time. A cookbook I was flipping through recently mentioned that they had deliberately left the desserts part of the book small, because they felt that decadent baked goods *shouldn’t* be something that you eat all the time. That attitude really resonated with me.

• November 27, 2013 at 1:49 am

Thanks Catherine, I think that is what I have realized. I think it is best to post a variety of recipes both for my health and everyone else’s!

• November 26, 2013 at 11:49 pm

Mallory this is such an excellent point. I often tell my readers that while I offer plenty of baked goods, they are from scratch, better than the store and I don’t eat more than a bite usually. I don’t have a sweet tooth, but I let my readers know that dessert should be a once in while enjoyment and I offer what readers are looking for. Having a blog has made me a better baker but over 500 recipes later, I’ve lost weight. I eat very strictly during the week and my indulging is mainly from restaurants, as I do blog about them. I exercise several times a week with a personal trainer and classes. I also offer a lot of healthy recipes. However, I have wondered about this. Am I doing anyone any favors with all these desserts, desserts I would never eat more than a bite of. My family loves them, and the people that eat them don’t binge or have a weight problem, but that’s because everything is in perspective. The majority of our food is very healthy. This is a great topic. I believe in full fat, whole milk, whole yogurt and cheese. I rarely eat gluten (by choice), and rarely eat grains, but like you I enjoy baking and offering it to others. It makes me happy to take the time to give in this way. I like that you addressed this; will give me something to ponder.

• November 27, 2013 at 1:51 am

Thanks for reading Angela. I think it all comes down to personal choice. You have to do what works for you to make you feel happy and healthy. And for me, this definitely means the more natural the better in most cases. It’s a cliche but everything in moderation also applies!

• November 27, 2013 at 12:07 pm

I usually eat only one serving (sometimes even just one bite of one serving!) of the desserts I post. When you bake so much, you can’t be eating your treats all the time or you’d be obese! I don’t think it’s fraudulent, just realistic.

• November 28, 2013 at 1:12 am

Mallory, I love this post! Preach away, girl. There are so many points I want to comment on. First, you are in no way a fraud. Just because you feature baking on your blog doesn’t mean that’s all you eat. Anyone who thinks that is just being silly. Whenever I get into a crazy baking binge and make four things in a weekend, I don’t even have the stomach to eat any of it because constantly being surrounded by sugar and butter kinda throws me off it. Same thing when I overindulge too much – my body will totally crave healthy home cooked food. As for feeling that I have to post certain things on my blog, every now and then I get totally caught up in the competition of it all and try to create the most insane, over the top, aahhh-worthy foods because all the other bloggers are doing it. Seriously though, how many eight layer cakes and chocolate-caramel-donut-in-a-cake-in-a-pie monstrosities need to be lying around my house? That’s when I go back to basics and blog about stuff I like to make and eat, like muffins or pancakes. The best part about blogging is getting to share my thoughts, interact with my readers and hopefully take some pretty photos of food I like to eat. I gotta admit though, I’ve been feeling down lately (as you can tell by my recent post – thanks for your comments, girl. I really really appreciate them!) so I’ve been comfort eating A LOT. Time for me to get back to salads and the dreaded E word (exercise!).

• November 28, 2013 at 1:36 am

Haha great response, I feel you. I totally know what you mean about coming up with “blog worthy” food. And unfortunately such recipes tend to be the most unhealthy ones you can possibly come up with. I think I am going to continue sharing more of what I eat on a daily basis and see how it goes. It is a heck of a lot more realistic, that’s for sure!

• December 5, 2013 at 7:58 pm

I don’t think I could EVER get sick of eating! However, food being both my love and my nemesis, this has caused a life-long struggle for me. And you know, it only gets worse once you have a family of picky eating children, and a man raised on white bread and processed cheese! For realz! I found what you said totally relatable! For me t’s all about balance, compromise, and cardio!!