Happy early Canada Day to all of my fellow Canadians out there! To celebrate the occasion, I have put together a round-up of some amazing Canada Day desserts and other sweet recipes from some unreal Canadian bloggers. This country has some great talent and there are simply too many to choose from, so this is just a taste of what Canada’s food scene has to offer! Enjoy and I hope you have a fabulous day spending time with those you love most.
– The Dunbar, courtesy of Isabelle over at Crumb. It’s based on a recipe from a bakery in Vancouver.
– This Canadian take on Baklava from Dan of Dan’s Good Side, chalked full of apples and cranberries.
– Nothing says summer in Canada like stone fruit and berries. Julie from Dinner with Julie definitely know what’s up.
– We love our camping up here in the Great White North and that means one thing – s’mores. Wanda from Bakers Beans has you covered!
– Blueberry pie is pretty traditional but not when you add spruce tips like Bernice from Dish ‘n’ the Kitchen did. Too pretty!
– These strawberry cloud bars from Regina at Leelalicious are red and white, just like our flag. Sounds about right for Canada day!
– When you are hiking in the mountains you need some trail mix – or trail mix cookie balls like these ones from Stephanie over at Global Dish.
– Anna Olson is as quintessentially Canadian as it gets. Check out her chocolate chip cookies on Stephanie’s blog (a different Stephanie), Clockwork Lemon.
– Ok it’s technically not dessert but it’s still sweet. The honey brew beer cocktail over at Eat North that is.
– If you have any rhubarb left it must go into making this tart from Melissa at Eyes Bigger Than My Stomach. It must.
– Does the top of this soufflé from Medha of Farm on Plate not look like our flag too? Except in chocolate form which is even better!
– We may not grow tropical fruits in Canada but we do have some wicked blueberries. Mixing them into cheesecake ice cream is genius! Thanks to Nancy from Gotta Get Baked for this.
– Amy of Simple Bites makes a wicked looking fresh strawberry pie. Heck yeah.
– This country makes some gooood ice wine. Why not try it in a gelée like this one courtesy of Tara from Seven Spoons?
– Cool off with this frozen berry tart from Emily, the blogger at This Rawsome Vegan Life.
– What dainty little muffins from Jo-Anna at A Pretty Like in the Suburbs. Pretty indeed!
– Start off the day with these strawberry crepes from Janice at Kitchen Heals Soul.
– Maple syrup and blueberries. Check and check. This cake from Dessert by Candy looks awesome and super simple too!
– If there is anyone who deserves recognition on Canada Day it is Valerie from A Canadian Foodie. She has started up such projects as the Canadian Food Experience Project and basically dedicates her site to all things Canadian. It seems fitting to end things with Valerie’s grandmother’s angel food cake. Traditions are what make this country what it is and there are nothing better than food traditions. Happy Canada Day to all!