There is nothing I love more than throwing a cornucopia of vegetables on the grill and charring the hell outta them. It’s probably a carcinogenous habit, no doubt. The problem is, the finished product – smoky, blackened vegetables – are way too delicious to give up. Toss them in a combination of different condiments, oils, vinegars and the like, and it’s the closest vegetables will get to tasting like crack (not that I would know – come to think of it, that is actually an awful expression. What does crack taste like? Do people actually eat it? Clearly I am not up on the different methods of getting drugs into your system).
Anyways, my go-to seasoning for grilled vegetables usually involves a melange of hoisin sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil and sriracha. I wanted to switch things up a bit by bringing miso to the party. See overall the key with these miso grilled vegetables, or any grilled veg for that matter, is getting the balance of sweet, salty, sour and spicy down pat. In order to determine this, you have to taste. If they need more salt, add more miso. More acidity? Add an extra squeeze of lemon. Maybe even some lemon zest would work nicely for sweetness. Get the point? There are no hard and fast rules.
Actually there is one rule that you should probably stick to. When dealing with ANY funky, cabbage-y, radish-y vegetables, get that garbage out of your house as fast as humanly possible. And not just out of the kitchen, out of the house altogether. The sulphurous stench of decomposing radishes is just too much for this nose to tolerate. Seriously, it was so bad that when I woke up for my run the next morning, the entire garage reeked of the odour. I ending up having to take the bag with me on my way to work, stealthily depositing it in a garbage well beyond the vicinity of my olfactory system. Did that kill your appetite? I’m sorry, I promise that the taste of these miso grilled vegetables are 300% worth the potential for negative
aromatic putrid consequences. Let’s grill, shall we?
- 3 tbsp. miso paste
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- ½ lemon, juiced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3-4 cups grilled vegetables, chopped (I used broccoli, radishes and yellow zucchini)
- Grill off the vegetables of your choice until they are nice and charred.
- Once they are cooked, chop them up and throw them in a medium sized bowl.
- Add in the miso, sesame oil and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Also, feel free to add more of any of the 3 ingredients mentioned above if you think it needs more salt or acidity. Taste, taste, taste!
- Serve warm, at room temperature or even chilled.